Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Future of Social Networking

In an effort to explain blogs to my coworkers, my down and dirty research over the past week has only unearthed articles that all seem to have been written in 2005 or 2006. Last night I was reading the latest GD USA (Graphic Design USA) and came across a quick blurb which talked about the future of social networking. I left the mag at home today, but to paraphrase, the article stated that social networks will be more target audience oriented, such as Takkle, a social network for high school athletes.

So I Googled "future of social networking" this morning and found that there are many more theories about the topic. Some think that social networking will move to one big platform, with one big login where you then shop for your social group, others think that video communication will be the next trend.

I think it will be interesting for nonprofits to watch where social networks go over the next couple of years - since both a broader audience and a more targeted audience have their pros and cons.

No comments: